As with many coastal communities in Australia, beaches are a main feature of Port Stephens. The ocean-facing beaches of Port Stephens have panoramic views and powerful surf much like most beaches in Australia, but without the crowds.
Port Stephens offers a whole different kind of beach experience, just 2.5 hours north of Sydney. Even in the height of summer, there is no struggling to find a prime place to lay in the sun.
Please check all surf conditions of the beaches of Port Stephens before entering the water.
Best Beaches for Kids
There are many family friendly beaches around Port Stephens. Picnic tables and barbecues may be found in scenic reserves at a variety of beaches around Nelson Bay, including Bagnalls, Dutchmans, and Little Beach. Shoal Bay’s beach strip, Fingal Bay Beach, and One Mile Beach all have BBQ facilities nearby.
- One Mile Beach, patrolled, refreshment kiosk.
- Boat Harbour, great for the little kids.
- Birubi Beach (the northern point of Stockton Beach) stretches for 32km, lots of space to fly a kite or play games. Patrolled at the Birubi Beach end, Kiddies corner near the skateboard park. Great rock climbs for the kids.
Great Surfing Beaches
Port Stephens is an excellent place to go surfing, with a variety of beaches to suit all skill levels. Beginners may learn to surf at One Mile Beach or Fingal Bay Beach, both of which are popular with experienced surfers. Port Stephens Surf School offers training. Samurai Beach, a lesser-known surf area near Tomaree Head, is a suitable alternative to Zenith and Box beaches.
- One Mile Beach, a good surf beach of Port Stephens, best surfed with a SE/NE swell. Patrolled at the southern end. Good for kids most of the time.
- Birubi Beach, Great surf beach, best surfed with S-NE swell, Patrolled area available.
- Zenith Beach, best surfed with a NE swell. Not the safest beach for kids.
- Box Beach, best surfed with E/NE swell. Again not to good for little kids.
- Fingal Beach, Good surf most of the time, best surfed with S-E/SE swell. Patrolled surf beach good for kids most of the time at the southern end (Kiddies Corner)
- Samurai Beach, GREAT SURF, 4 Wheel Drive access, best surfed with a S-NE swell. Can be a bit rough for kids.
Port Stephens Beaches
Beaches around Port Stephens include: